Impact on the pharmaceutical market of the draft of the OPR of August 3, 2018
IQVIA prepared an analysis of the impact on the pharmaceutical market of the draft of the OPR of August 3, 2018 that is being processed by the Ministry of Health.
Throughout the analysis, the following key points stand out:
The application of the OPR in the reimbursement market generates an annual reduction 50% higher than the OPR of November 2017 and represents an impact of 91M € in the reimbursement pharmaceutical market
The volume of units sold in the last twelve months (August 2017-July 2018) is taken as a reference:
- Prior to the application of the OPR, the price variation that occurred in the last twelve months generates a € 120M reduction in the value of the reimbursement segment to PVL.
- This circumstance affects both the reimbursement market segment subject to the application of the OPR, with € 76M ...
- As to the segment of products not subject to reference price where the price decrease in the last year supposes a decrease of 45M €.
- The new reference prices will be applied at the time of entry into force of the OPR and are calculated taking into account the lowest active prices according to the system of homogeneous groupings, by doing so the annual value of the reimbursement segment is reduced by € 91M amount to € 76M resulting from the application of the latest price:
- These 91M € represent a variation of -1.9% in the market segment subject to the reference price.
- 97% of the impact of the OPR is concentrated in non-generic products.
- If the effect of the current price is added to the PRR (price variation in the last twelve months), the segment of brands subject to the reference price decreases its value by -5% (€ 151M). The negative effect on the generic segment may imply a decrease of € 16M.
- In line with 2017, 53% of the joint effect of lower prices + OPR corresponds to homogeneous sets of new creation and within them 96% (€ 125m) affects non-generic products.
- There are 19 newly created CHCs, but only in 5 of them the definition of a reference price has a real effect of reducing value and represents almost 50% of the total impact of the application of the OPR.
Click here to see the full analysis.